Originally Posted by Can2K
Just got off the phone with a psychologist where we had the testing done - they are diagnosing ADHD. She refused to consider simply documenting his deficits and recommending accommodations based on that - said that would not be professional.

I'm curious about the ADHD diagnosis - once you have the full report, I'd be interested in knowing what she used as basis for the diagnosis. Did you and/or your ds' teacher have to fill out any type of behavioral survey?

I also understand why she wouldn't want to document deficits and make accommodations recommendations without a diagnosis.

Also, she seemed to not be impressed with his previous diagnosis of DCD, given that he scored at the 30th percentile on the Beery.

I can't find my ds' Beery report at the moment, but I'm fairly certain he didn't have any scores that were super-low. When you get the report, look to see if the subtest scores are listed, because that's where the information that's useful really is. There are three subtests: Visual Motor Integration, Visual Perception, and Motor Coordination. If there is a discrepancy in scores between subtests, it can help you figure out where the challenge is that's driving the handwriting issue.

I think you've mentioned other things that clearly line up with DCD that aren't in the realm of ADHD symptoms at all - I'm sorry I can't remember exactly what those things were, but how is his ability to do things such as tie shoes, button shirts, throw or kick a ball, do a jumping jack etc? Does he walk fast or slow? Every person with DCD is impacted differently, so it's not possible to make a determination based on comparing behaviors, but fwiw, my ds walked extremely slowly when he was your ds' age. Still does... but otoh so do a lot of teens lol. He had a really tough time learning how to tie his shoes - wasn't able to until he was in 4th grade and then forgot how to after not wearing tie-shoes for a week during spring break.

It is really confusing as symptoms and behaviors overlap between ADHD and DCD, but there are also symptoms that don't - and looking for those can be helpful in figuring out what's really going on. And of course, it's possible to have both - but if you accommodate for the DCD and the ADHD-like symptoms go away, it's much more likely that what you were seeing was DCD.

Did the psych tell you when you'd have her report?

Best wishes,

polarbear