Thanks a lot Platypus! It makes sense that the school would mostly care about his needs/deficits - if he is slow at writing and needs AT, surely it doesn't really matter why.

Although now I am puzzled that our school resource teacher was insisting on having a diagnosis (at least for the DCD she really wanted a letter from our doctor - wouldn't accept the OT report alone).

I think the psych could clearly see that DS would benefit from AT, so I'm pretty sure that will end up in the recommendations (which we don't have yet - so far just preliminary finding).

She also commented that he kept dropping his pencil and then would have a hard time picking it up - to me this is clearly the DCD, not ADHD. And thinking about it, he gets quite distracted when these things happen, so some of the symptoms are clearly DCD-related.

After doing some reading, I see that writing problems can be generated from DCD alone - clearly he has trouble with motor planning. But to me it looks like he has trouble with automaticity - I can almost see the wheels turning in his head when he is printing each letter.

The thing is, currently his typing is also pretty slow. And he's not too interested in typing tutors or learning to type faster. So right now, having him type will likely not speed up his writing by much. And he also has trouble either deciding what to write, or coming up with the words. I do a lot of scaffolding on written homework. Again - is this dysgraphia, ADHD, or both? Or does it really matter which one, if we get the right accommodations in place?

ADHD - some of the symptoms fit - he loses things, has trouble organizing himself, is often inattentive at home. And apparently 50% of DCD kids also have ADHD - so I guess not too surprising?

I hear you on finding that one person who can explain it all - DH even suggested getting the psych, the OT and vision therapist all in a room together so they can come up with an answer. But I'm not convinced that would work either - they all look at DS through their own lens/experience. I wish there was one professional who would look at the big picture - but that seems to be up to us, the parents.