Hi

We had our DS8.5 in for psycho-educational assessment this week, and got some preliminary feedback today. Previous to today he had already been diagnosed with DCD and convergence insufficiency (almost ready to be discharged from VT). The school recommended having him assessed due to some behavior issues last year and also because to get him assistive technology we need a letter from a psychologist (so they said).

DS's handwriting is poor, slow and laborious, so I was thinking they might come back with dysgraphia. But the psychologist said that his written output was age appropriate (although she conceded it was very slow and there is a gap between cognitive ability and writing). But she told us that because he's not below grade level she can't give a LD diagnosis.

I don't have the testing summary (will take a couple of weeks for them to write everything up and send it to us), but I think the writing sample she showed us was from the WIAT? She said it was un-timed - but noted that one of the sentences took him over 10 minutes to write. She also noted that he mixed upper and lower case letters in his sentences and had to go back to put in the punctuation. He also did not complete all of the sentences - maybe 5 out of 8?

On the other hand, the spelling portion took him up into the 10th grade level, so I know he doesn't have issues with spelling.

Does anyone know what the specific criteria are for dysgraphia? Do you need to be below grade level? Is there another test she should have used?