Thanks so much for the thoughtful responses. Here is more about our situation.

His dysgraphia is made more challenging by hypermobile joints in his wrists and hands. For example, when his palm is up he can just about bend his wrist up and over to fold his fingers and palm to rest along the inside of his forearm.

His teachers have been teaching keyboarding and handwriting as separate subjects. He struggles with typing too. He has a lot trouble making his fingers move independently so proper typing is incredibly frustrating. His neuropsych report recommended we let him develop his own technique. His teachers are fine with this approach but they don't require he type anything but the typing exercises. He also learns PowerPoint so some typing is used in that. At this point typing is still a bottleneck just one with a neater product.

I should mention he and his teachers seem happy with their oral answer arrangement, at least they were for second grade. It is me who thinks he should be developing an independent way. DH thinks we should just let him be and see where he's at in maybe sixth grade.

What type of professional does an AT evaluation? We haven't accessed the public school for any services. He attends a private school. His years of OT/PT were done privately as healthcare (although the OT did his sessions at his school and made recs. to his teachers). Would it be available through a children's hospital? I could see about getting a referral.

I think speech to text is going to be his best bet. Oral expression on the WIAT was in line with his verbal scores on the IQ portion. In general his hands are not his friends. He hates zippers, snaps, buttons, utensils and laces.