I started asking about cursive in 1st grade after reading that some dysgraphic kids find it easier. The OT at our public just said "Yes some kids do find it easier" but refused to try it. After a year at the spec Ed school the OT there suggested trying it. It has been a slow process - using Handwriting Without Tears Cursive (which DD referred to as "Handwriting Most Definitely WITH Tears" ). DD basically uses it to sign her name. I'm not sure it was worth all the effort but I think DD's printing improved along the way. Could be developmental, could be a cumulative effect of all the OT, could be something about learning cursive. I don't know.

I think the most effective is voice to text but she gets frustrated at times and goes back to typing. The built in voice to text on iPad 2 and higher works well with her voice BUT she needs to be connected to wifi for it to work. AT consultant failed to tell us that and didn't include cellular in the description of which machine to buy so DD can't use it on the bus, in the car or anywhere she doesn't have wifi. Not happy about that and not quite ready to buy yet another iPad just yet. Surprisingly she sometimes insists on hand writing even though it is slow, tedious and illegible. She used to refuse to write by hand because it hurt so much now we have to implement strategies to insist she uses something else instead. Maybe all the OT handwriting work strengthened her muscles? Again, who knows...

In 4th grade I brought up giving up on handwriting altogether and DD vetoed the idea. She said she knew there might be times she didn't have access to technology and wanted to be sure she could write a note if necessary. Then she looked me in the eye and said "Mom you can't run away from your problems. You do understand that - right?" Now that she can write a brief note all have agreed the diminishing return means her time can be better spent on other things.

Last edited by Pemberley; 08/21/16 08:36 PM.