KJP, I'm short on time and tired too.. but here are a few notes for you:

Originally Posted by KJP
He's learning to type at school but not using it for other subjects.
[/quote=KJP]

Why isn't he using it for other subjects? The more he types the quicker he'll become proficient at it, and dysgraphia doesn't turn on/off with English/writing class.

[quote=KJP]Can he use an iPad to turn a standard short answer style worksheet into a document he can fill with typing or speech to text?

Yes. My ds did this for several years; I suspect his technology on his iPad may be out-of-date. If you google "dysgraphic apps for iPad" you should be able to find current lists of suggested apps.

Originally Posted by KJP
What about an app to help organize a short essay?

My ds was using a laptop in elementary school, but I think the software he used for this has been adapted for the iPad - the name of the software was "Kidspiration" ("Inspiration" for the version older kids/teens/adults used). This is software that lets you brainstorm, create connections via graphic organizer, then transform those connected ideas into an outline, from which you can build your paragraphs.

Originally Posted by KJP
He'd like to work independently in an advanced science (biology) book. Are there any good options available on iPad?

Are you just looking for an audio version of the book, or something more. In general, we found that the pictures/figures in some science textbooks weren't all that great in e-format, but again, things may be much better now. DS hasn't used science books online during the past two years, but he has online versions of math and history books and they are all ok - however he either couldn't get them on his iPad or found issues with them on his iPad and usually only used them online when he was using a computer.

Does your ds have a subscription to learning ally? I *think* you can download their books to iPads... but my kids don't tend to do that so I'm not 100% certain. I can check though, once I'm wider awake smile

Originally Posted by KJP
What all needs wifi? I've heard it is iffy at the school.
Anything that's pulling data across the internet. It really depends on the app an what you're using it for.

A few other notes:

It would be a good idea to put together a plan (even if it's only in your head, not the school's vision) of how to transfer you ds from oral responses to keyboarded responses. Oral response works great at first, but it's not practical long-term.

My ds learned cursive in school, and the one thing that was great about it was that his handwriting was much more legible when he wrote in cursive. One huge downside to that was that since he could write neatly with cursive, the school staff refused to believe he was dysgraphic. It's important to remember that dysgraphia isn't the same thing as illegible handwriting or slow handwriting - it's a challenge with a brain-hand connection that limits the development of automaticity of handwriting. All the things that impact a child who's dysgraphic when they are printing will still impact them when they're writing cursive. They will still be forming letters by relearning how to draw them each time they write them, they will still be using all of their working memory for writing the letter vs focusing on spelling or grammar or punctuation, and most importantly, no working memory left over to put into developing the student's ideas. My ds, who had that beautiful cursive handwriting in 5th grade, no longer remembers how to write in cursive.

Re AT in general - the "best" or "right" AT for any one individual at any one point in time - is just that, the best solution for one person. You can expect AT needs to change over time (as well as expecting technology to change).

Best wishes,

polarbear