Originally Posted by EmmaL
Yes, DSs processing speed %-ile number is 73 points lower than his verbal comprehension index %-ile number. Neuropsych stated that clearly DS requires extended time.

The fine motor skill are variable... pegboard 99% versus Berry VMI 21%. I am trying for AT and OT evals. [/quote]

Does your ds have a dysgraphia or DCD or dyspraxia diagnosis? The test variability is very similar to my dysgraphic ds' scores. If your ds is dysgraphic, I've found it both important and very helpful to be sure to explain over and over again the following:

Dysgraphia is a condition that is neurological in original and means that a person never develops automaticity of handwriting. It doesn't mean just slow or sloppy handwriting; when a dysgraphic person uses handwriting, 100% of their working memory is used to remember how to form each letter and number. There is no working memory left over to think through how to spell or correct grammar, and most importantly, none left to focus on the ideas the person wants to communicate.

That statement (if your ds has a dysgraphia diagnosis) should be all you need to get him keyboarding accommodations because it clearly states why he's not receiving his FAPE when he's required to use handwriting. It should also be enough to get him an accommodation of no points off for spelling mistakes or neatness when he does use handwriting.

Filling in the test bubbles alone are difficult for DS. Looking for the bubble sheet accommodation.

The accommodation to allow a student to write in the answer book on standardized testing is also a common one for dysgraphic students. There are two good potential reasons to seek this accommodation for a dysgraphic student other than the time required to fill in bubbles: accuracy of filling in the bubbles (fine motor) and mistakes made during copying (due to dysgraphia).

If you suspect your ds is dysgraphic or he has a dysgraphia diagnosis, I'd recommend googling "accommodations for dysgraphia" and see if there are other accommodations he'd benefit from. Note-taking is an issue for my ds; he uses apps that let him audio record as well as type during lectures. He uses his phone to take pictures of assignments written on the board. If you want to know what is specifically listed on his 504 plan for accommodations let me know and I'll pm them to you.

Best wishes,

polarbear