2012 neuropsych DS15 diagnosed with mixed-receptive language disorder and slow processing speed. DS had 50 points of scatter. District classifies DS as speech and language impaired. Last year DS was eligible for extended time, speech therapy, counseling, third-language exemption, preferential seating, and "tablet with keyboard containing word processing, voice recognition, organizing software, digital recording applications to enable the student to take and organize notes as well as write short and extended responses," but DS did not receive them, except for in-classroom tablet last year. Exh withheld IEP and didn't request services or accommodations out of fear they DS would lose financial aid. (high-performing, double-curriculum, private high school does provide these accommodations to others so it is not really an issue especially if the student has an IEP or 504 from their home district.) Now that I have been allowed to be more active with my DS school I am trying to get accommodations and IEP review in place for the coming school year.

District is now saying since DS received A's and B's without accommodations and related services they believe he does not need them and want to declassify him rather than renew. However, he currently has an incomplete in one subject, because he did not hand in a paper. The rough draft has been submitted, awaiting on-summer-vacation teacher to review and then DS will need to submit final paper while starting 10th grade. I think his language disorder made it difficult for DS to get his thoughts on paper. District said DS did not hand it in, because he did not want to and he's capable. FWIW, I did not know about the non-turned in paper until right before finals and DS had permission to hand in paper late.

DS has requested extended time, since he feels he is at a disadvantage and under pressure without it. Not to mention, over the top anxiety during finals. DS receives points off for illegible handwriting and often misinterprets test questions. I suspect undiagnosed specific learning disability that ds has been able to compensate for, until now.

I am hoping to get neuro-psych re-eval this fall. What arguments have others used in this situation to keep their DS' IEP or 504's in place? Test results are far more scattered than are reflected in grades. DS had to be dropped from honor-track in other curriculum because he could not manage. TIA.