Originally Posted by Questions202
I usually get very good advice on here and I'm just curious about your thoughts on how, when and why to set limits on this type of thing--and also how to discuss with her the reasoning for those limits.

I think you've already received great advice. My first thought re the above was, this is not really different from any situation where a child's passion requires some guidelines/limit setting from parents. My first advice is - don't feel that you're holding your child back by setting limits - it's ok!

Re politics - the Presidential election is what's on the news at this point in time, but it's not the only political issue/event of interest out there. I'd suggest looking at local politics, political issues etc. Maybe you could find something local that she'd be interested in smile

Re the difference in your dh's opinion and your own - it's ok to have different points of view, my dh and I are on different ends of the political spectrum and we both share our viewpoints and the *why* with our kids. Having parents who both see the world a bit differently, imo, reinforces something that's important for me to pass on to my kids - whatever they grow up to believe or embrace, it's important to me that it comes from *them*, not from me or my dh. We want to pass on our values as humans of course, but their ultimate political bent, what they choose to do for a career, how they spend their non-working time as adults - I want them to follow their own passions and interests, and I want them to know it's ok to be different, we don't all have to agree smile

Best wishes,

polarbear