Originally Posted by Questions202
... she wants to watch the conventions. All. the. time. ... I just couldn't do it... I want to support her interest in politics but the combination of everything is just too much.
Too much for the child? Or the parents?

Despite the advice from "experts" some children wanted to immerse themselves in every detail of 9/11 when it occurred. Only by understanding what happened and the enormity of the rescue response did some children process the events and restore their sense of safety and security.

I personally felt it preyed on people and was angry and racist. I just didn't trust her to be able to see through all that. (Your political views may be different--again, this is not about politics but about trying to help my child.)
To help your child you may wish to mention:
1) There is good and bad in everything.
2) It may be wise not to paint any group with a broad brush; People are individuals, each with a unique set of life experiences.
3) There is a diversity of views and voices. There is strength in diversity. 1st amendment right to free speech is practiced through allowing the multiple viewpoints to be expressed, and through tolerance in hearing and sorting through information.

To pass moderation and not bait a political debate on the forum, you may wish to speak in general terms, not specifics about your feelings on any particular speech or party in a way that may be construed as attempting to denigrate a party or candidate, or influence voters.

she... can talk about how parties have morphed over time... She does not know much about the party platforms specifically. She hasn't had "the talk" yet. I really don't want to sit around getting specific about abortion (though she has a general idea, because she has run into it.)
Given her penchant for facts and information it may be time to look into the current official party platforms. Some may say this follows naturally from her interest and understanding in how the parties have morphed over time.

To provide your child with facts, the 2016 platforms are found online for both Dem and Rep parties. Some may say that both have internal inconsistencies. Both platforms exist on the internet archive (Way Back Machine):
- Dem, 55 pages.
- Rep, 66 pages.

compared the two versions of first lady speeches to talk about plagiarism
It is my understanding that a team of unidentified speechwriters helped to pull together a rather lengthy speech, and two sentences have been focused upon for being eerily similar. Unfortunately, even if run through common plagiarism software, this near-duplication of two sentences in a speech of that length may not be enough to trigger an automatic plagiarism warning or alert proactively. It took knowledgeable individuals to recognize the undeniable similarity upon hearing the public speech, and bring that information forward.

I usually get very good advice on here and I'm just curious about your thoughts on how, when and why to set limits on this type of thing--and also how to discuss with her the reasoning for those limits.
How to set limits: In a manner which manages her expectations. For example, mention that if the level of political discussion begins to hamper other discussion or family relationships, it is time to take a break.

When to set limits: Proactively. Let her know in advance.

Why to set limits: To preserve the family relationships, no individual family member may indulge in their hobby or interest at all times.

Reasoning for those limits: There must also be time devoted to other endeavors and conversations.

Her current obsession with politics may be a passing interest or may build into a career.