Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Blackcat, it sounds like you have experience a lot of variability in scores over time with your DS. It is helpful to know that happens. I've been reading the 2e posts here for a while and it is so nice to hear stories of older 2e kids -- it feels less lonely.

AEH - your comment about the age range on the PDMS is interesting. I think 50th percentile is unrealistically high. But it is also true that his writing is worse than his other skills, or at least there is less room for creative compensation (I saw him cut out shapes during one of the tests and while the end result was a nicely cut out shape, it looked super awkward, and the OT was worried he was going to cut himself). I too would be interested in the motor-free subtlest, but she didn't administer it. I suspect we will pursue comprehensive neuropsych testing in the next 1-2 years to understand the little guy better, but we're not yet sure of the best timing. He sees a neurologist next week, mostly to rule out underlying neuromuscular issues mimicking dyspraxia. I've made the statement at a school meeting and also to his pediatrician that I think he has a 4-5 SD difference between his strengths and weaknesses, and instead of being called crazy I get vigorous nodding, which is both legitimizing and a bit frightening 😬.