Originally Posted by Ophelia
Beery-Buktenica Developmental Test of Visual-Motor Integration - 6th Ed. (Mean=100)
Total Score 83 / 13%

You've already received excellent advice from spaghetti and DeeDee. I'll add two things:

1) Your ds' score on the Beery VMI is really low - 13% - did the evaluator say anything at all about why it might be so low? I'm guessing this may have something to do with the reason he isn't tying his shoes or riding his bike yet. FWIW, you might want to google Development Coordination Disorder or Dyspraxia and see if anything you find there fits. There are quite a few symptoms of DCD that overlap with symptoms of autism. I have a DS with DCD - homework was a nightmare for him up until he was diagnosed.

If the evaluator didn't say anything at all about the 13%, I'm really surprised. If it was a school evaluation, I wouldn't be surprised (here in my local district) because they usually require 7% or below to consider anything a challenge - is it possible that your evaluator was using school district guidelines for diagnosing an LD?

2) His working memory score on the WISC, at 50%, is lower than his other scores. Discrepancies as large as this don't necessarily mean anything but they *can* be a red flag for challenges. Hopefully aeh will weigh in on the scores smile

3) I just want to second and third and even fourth one of DeeDee's points:

Originally Posted by DeeDee
They often mistake strong language for strong communication skills, even though they are not the same thing.

Lastly and most importantly, trust your instinct as a mom, and follow up on it.

Best wishes,

polarbear

ps - did the evaluator do any type of executive functioning tests?

Last edited by polarbear; 06/23/16 04:13 PM.