I am not sure where else to go for help, and would greatly appreciate thoughts on what seems to be happening with Ds7.

We have suspected possible HFA/NVLD for several years in both of our children. Ds7 reads at a 9th grade level/spells well, but struggles with math and writing. Nightly homework has been a nightmare; so much crying and meltdowns. In the classroom, he can't seem to focus because he can't keep his mind off of his special interest, as opposed to being distracted by classroom atmosphere (teacher agrees). He's not interested in playing with other children unless it involves his single interest. Other things possibly of note are that he cannot tie his shoes or ride a bike without training wheels, sensory issues, repetition of words/phrases from favorite tv show, reading at 3yo, etc. (There's more, but I'm doing my best to be brief.)

In effort to try to understand where the problem is with math and writing, I requested an evaluation through his school. Like many others, I was told even if he was given an evaluation, he wouldn't qualify for services because he was testing at benchmark. (He was failing or nearly failing math and ELA at the time.) So, I decided to go the private route, and specifically looked for someone who specialized in 2e and also Asperger's/HFA. I had hoped that if I were able to get something in writing, maybe I could get the school to work with me, or at least individual teachers.

I am hoping someone here can help me understand how these results relate to what I'm seeing in my child. I was told I simply have a gifted DS, who may have a bit of anxiety when he's not as good at some things. There is no LD/HFA, etc. Finally, I was told that the reasoning for Ds7's all consuming obsession (his single interests have always been cartoon/tv related) that's impacting home and school life is just part of giftedness.

I don't know whether I'm over-reacting, or if not, what I should be asking. Can anyone offer any guidance? Do you see anything unusual here? Other than the VCI, these seem to be the WISC scores of a child with average intelligence, for the most part. I don't know what to make of this.

I really don't understand the portion of high math scores on the WIAT in relation to his struggling. He's just not comprehending/can't learn multiplication facts, not grasping division, etc. Thank you!

WISC-V

FSIQ 123 / 94 %
GAI 126 / 96 %
Quantitative Reasoning 114 / 82 %
Auditory Working Memory 106 / 66 %
Nonverbal 111 / 77 %
Cognitive Proficiency 113 / 81 %

Verbal Comprehension 139 / 99.5 %
Visual Spatial 105 /63 %
Fluid Reasoning 115 /84 %
Working Memory 100 /50 %
Processing Speed 119 /90 %

Similarities 18
Vocabulary 16
Information 15

Matrix Reasoning 12
Figure Weights 13
Arithmetic 12

Digit Span 10
Picture Span 10
Letter-Number Sequencing 12

Block Design 11
Visual Puzzles 11

Coding 12
Symbol Search 15

WIAT-III

Age-Based
Mathematics 132 / 98%
Math Fluency 113 / 81 %
Numerical Operations 139 / 99.5%
Math Problem Solving 121 / 92%
Math Fluency - Addition 105 / 63%
Math Fluency -Subtraction 118 / 88%
Alphabet Writing Fluency 117 / 87%

Grade-Based
Mathematics 127 / 96%
Math Fluency 107 / 68%
Numerical Operations 137 / >99%
Math Problem Solving 113 / 81%
Math Fluency - Addition 100 / 50%
Math Fluency -Subtraction 112 / 79%
Alphabet Writing Fluency 114 / 82%

Grooved Pegboard Test
Dominant Hand 66%
Non-dominant Hand 52%

Beery-Buktenica Developmental Test of Visual-Motor Integration - 6th Ed. (Mean=100)
Total Score 83 / 13%

Beery-Buktenica Developmental Test of Visual Perception - 6th Ed.(Mean=100)
Total Score 104 / 61%