Hi All! It's been awhile and that is a good thing. However, It's IEP time so here we go. Just a refresher: DS is now in 4th grade going into 5th. He has dysgraphia (actually, he has dyspraxia and a part of the that is severe dysgraphia) and Ehlers Danlos; so, handwriting has been a huge issue all through school so far. After some major battling, I got him some great accommodations for writing - scribe, keyboarding, extra time, etc. As part of his IEP, he has been getting typing and handwriting lessons during OT pull-outs. He gets pulled out twice weekly, each time for about 25 minute sessions. One session was supposed to be for handwriting and one for typing. (I say 'supposed to be' because my son has indicated he pretty much only works on typing during the sessions.) This particular arrangement started beginning of third grade, when I insisted that he be taught to type during OT. Occupational therapist is now wanting and recommneding that all OT services be discontinued for my son for fifth grade. He says DS types great - 34 words per minute; so, he doesn't need OT any more and, plus, it is not good to pull him out of class now that he is in 5th. I was JUST told this and IEP meeting is tomorrow (no matter - I won't sign a darn thing until I have the IEP right and I don't care how many times I have to meet with them to get there but still).

Both DH and I are not comfortable with this at all. First of all, I realize 34 words per minute is good but he needs to rely on this skill as he can not handwrite so is that a good enough level at which to quit? I don't think so. Am I right, or no? Also, this speed is on a regular keyboard, I am thinking he needs support/lessons on getting up to speed typing on an iPad keyboard. My husband adds that, 'yes he can not rely on handwriting and, yes, we can not stress his hand joints with handwriting BUT he should still get some OT instruction on handwriting to at least solidify SOME functionality.' He still writes his 9s and 4s backwards. As for the '5th grade is harder so he should not be pulled from class argument,' to me this is the last year he can afford to be pulled so let's make the most of it. My thought is that this service will stop in middle school because the course load will be too heavy then to continue with the OT. But not in fifth. To me this is the last year he will have the time and luxury to fit in OT!

Also, I think he needs to start using EFFOFex. He is in accelerated math and he is going to need to be able to the higher level math more independently using that program. Can not the OT provide support with that as well?

Any thoughts, advice, and insights are welcome and deeply appreciated! I need some reassurance and advice for sure!