That's the thing, the school is saying yes he has struggles but it's not enough to warrant an IEP, just more encouragement needed. We tried to go the route of competitive private schools, but he didn't get accepted because his grades aren't high enough and he has social and behavior problems. We didn't consider other expensive less competitive private schools because of the cost.

There aren't really any other options of public school choices where we live. I do supplemental enrichment work with him at home, but I feel this is not enough. I'm planning on applying him for DYS later this month. Do you think their gifted counselors would have an effective way of helping to advocate his situation? His neuropsychologist is trying as well but the school seems not to bend. I wonder if contacting the school district board would help? I really don't want to get a lawyer involved, due to cost and undue exposure for my son. But it is something to consider in the future. I have read the articles on Wright's law, and FAPE, but it is subjective on what "appropriate" means.

Also, regarding the three ring concept of giftedness, does anyone else's school district have such a thing? Because I don't really understand why being a good communicator, quality producer, or self directed learner really has anything to do with giftedness, that seems more like achievement than cognitive ability.