So my ds8 is twice exceptional, with ADHD, asp, and exceptionally gifted. He scored very high on the Scat for 2nd graders as well as wisc iv. He has a very high reading level and comprehension, loves reading any chance he gets, and excels at high levels of math and spatial concepts.

He attends a public school and they have a GT program that only allows kids entrance if they score high enough on the cogat exam, have excellent communicative skills, is an excellent quality producer, and excellent self directed learner, as well as have excellent teacher ratings. For the last three years, he has always scored high enough academically to get into the gt program but could never score in the excellent range for the other aspects they also consider as the three ring concept of giftedness.

We spoke to the school about having an I.E.P for my son because of asp, ADHD, and they said that he doesn't qualify because he isn't doing poorly at school and can keep up fine. But we keep telling the school that he is just compensating because he is highly intelligent. But he does have social issues, very poor handwriting, concentration problems, and behavioral issues. The school says he can't be in both special education and gifted program because they are just the opposite. Their recommendation is to just work with him at home.

I am so frustrated I'm at my wits end. I do work with him at home but there has to be more the school can do otherwise he will always hit this road block of high potential but mediocre achievement. And the thing that is most frustrating is if he had just giftedness, or just learning issues then he could be in these individualized programs. But because he is twice exceptional he can't be in either one of them?!!?

I have also asked about subject acceleration and they said they don't accommodate that and I asked about grade acceleration and they said he isn't getting perfect grades and he has social issues. They said for example he knows the math and language arts concepts but isn't writing down the explanations in full detail and clearly conveying the written concepts. But I keep telling them that's because many aspie kids have poor written output! You see my frustration now?