Originally Posted by thx1138
I don’t want a prep school with a brand name per se. I want my kid at one of the top 5 or 10 colleges in the USA. Again not for the brand name per se. More because, it will give him a better view of the world order. More because, kids are influenced by peers. I figure those universities will have smart peers with good study habits.

I know you're focused on this at the moment, but there's a school of thought that the future success stories will be the people who can think independently, function with all sorts of people and make decisions that may not be on the typical paths. I'm not convinced that the only people like this are going to come out of Ivy league schools, because they surely do not today.

Yes to the peers having good study habits, but will they have good life habits? Or will they by then be standardized creatures, largely as the result of a forced march to making high grades (which does not meaning learning beyond the assignment/test) and for-show projects? That's if they don't crash and burn first.