Not waitlisted, just straight rejected, at both schools. Current school is fairly new, has been adding grades and hasn’t really graduated a full class yet. DD's teacher is new (first year teaching) and may not be versed in the nuances of recommendation letters.

My hypothesis is its unlikely they filled a class with kids who scored 99th percentile across the 4 sections of the ISEE test.

Regarding essays, consultant just helps with the parent essay. The student essay was entirely the work of DD with no help. Interestingly, the final section of the ISEE is an essay that is not graded but simply forwarded directly to the schools. They use it to compare with the application essay, to confirm the kid really wrote it.

Thanks Lepa and all for the outpouring of sympathy. Do you have a link to your post? Wondering if I was as long or as angry.

There was actually a third school where the admissions director said in as many words that they wanted DD. But it was just too far a drive and too small a school (we wanted something somewhat larger for middle school socialization) and we had abandoned our application.

I don’t know how to develop self-esteem, bravery, extroversion in a child. For me it took an extended battery of psychedelic drugs over the course of a decade. I am reluctant to expose DD’s developing brain to this. Though I more or less came through better and somewhat unscathed.

I suppose it sounds like sour grapes or venting, but one persistent theory is that schools want extraverts and not too high an IQ.

If I run into the one admissions director at some event in town I will ask her what happened.

Last edited by thx1138; 03/16/16 05:29 PM.