Hi all - love this thread!

Ocelot - I feel for your DS! Mine is constantly coming home with bruises on his arms and legs, which he can't remember how he got them. One time, he burned his finger sticking it into the hand dryer.

Can I vent here about DS8's report card? Just received mid-term report yesterday - quite a hodgepodge. I'd like to mark it up with red ink and send it back to them!

Some background- DS is in French immersion, so he has 2 main teachers - one for English and one for French. He English teacher gets him - she's a former gifted teacher and has done her best to accommodate his DCD/dyspraxia as well as give him extra challenges in class. His French teacher - not so much. She warned me last time I spoke to her that he would have not so great marks on the 'learning skills' portion of the report card (these are things like Collaboration, Organization, Self-regulation, and so on - they don't give A, B, C's, but "Excellent, Good, Satisfactory, Needs Improvement").

She has reported to me that he is distracted in class, wanders around, and doesn't complete his work. So I was expecting some 'S's or 'N's, but not the volume of negative comments!

Comments in the learning skills area are in 2 parts - Strengths, and Next Steps (to improve). I started reading the 'strengths' section and there were very few positive comments, other than in the 'collaboration' area. The other areas were comments like "Needs to learn how to not be distracted" "Sometimes hands in homework without constant prompting by teacher", "Occasionally uses the word wall to check his incomplete work". Grrrr. How is that a positive comment?

Also, on the academic side, he did really well in math, pretty good in (English) language, and less well in anything taught in French. He got a C- in 'health' because he apparently doesn't understand fire safety rules and had trouble making an anti-bullying poster (which he had to draw)- HUH????

It's not because he doesn't understand or 'get' the French - when he reads or speaks it at home he does awesome. And last year he did well in French and really got along with the teacher.

I will need to calm down before I call his French teacher - deep breaths....