Originally Posted by ultramarina
I do remember her doing some inequalities last year, which she struggled with somewhat but was able to do mechanistically. However, it's all a bit mystifying because last year she was one year advanced plus "gifted" in math (that is, she was in 5th and completed the 6th grade curriculum plus "extra enrichment"). She then, based on standardized test scores, was invited to take a placement test that could have put her in an "advanced 6th grade" class or this 2 years accelerated class. She placed into 2 years advanced, but it seems to me that she may have skipped some material...maybe this is a hybrid class of compressed 7th/8th grade?? Heck, it's really all very confusing. Whatever the case, she is not an accelerated 6th grader with 8th graders--she is with other same-age kids in a designated gifted class, but they presumably have at least as slapdash a background as hers, if not worse. She says other kids are having a hard time.

ETA: Her class's technical title is "7th grade gifted math." ??

We are in a similar situation. DD10 should be in 5th but accelerated last Spring and then tested into a class that combines all 6th, 7th, and about half of 8th. We were told to do that instead of skipping levels so both girls would not miss content. Anyway, I looked it up, and the method is called "integrated math". She and her sister will come out of middle school with 2 years of high school math. I just looked to see the high school math progression and came away totally confused. I hope we parents get help figuring out math classes in a couple of years when we face registering for high school.