Originally Posted by ultramarina
Just to clarify.. is she is a CC compressed Math 8, Algebra I class combined? If so.. Math 8 isn't "pre-algebra" it is pre-algebra the first 4-5 chapters of Algebra & some gemoetry.

Techncally, she is in prealgebra. (How systems of equations is prealgebra, I don't know.) Next year, she will take Algebra 1. I'm still confused about how this all works.

I'm confused about that too, and think now that I was wrong about how wonderful the CC math standards are. A major point about them was supposed to be "deeper understanding without rushing." That doesn't seem to be the case here at all.

My understanding of the high amount of algebra in pre-algebra is this:

Lots of students are struggling with algebra 1 and not doing well on the standardized tests.

The problem must be that they need two years to learn the material. Therefore, we will put lots of algebra in pre-algebra and give them that extra time.

The same is happening with calculus, though to a lesser degree: Calculus with precalculus.

OP, I understand the problem better now, and have realized that your DD is in precisely the same situation my younger DS was in. He was doing CC 8th grade math and getting As, and then the very end of the first semester hit, and he was back to being completely lost. He was getting stuck on precisely the same thing your DD is on. I had a meeting at school about it, and he ended up doing that pre-algebra course I mentioned.