So I had asked the teacher to assess where my my DD8's reading is at as she is really resistant to reading, which makes me nervous as my brother had dyslexia and the teacher says she makes a lot of careless mistakes. So the school calls me and say that they want to schedule an SST and they will tell me what the results were.

The Special Ed person (not sure what the title is), who I have spoken to before briefly about my DS, said, well she's reading at grade level, is this the only reason you called this meeting? And I said, well yes, I spoke to the teacher and she agreed to test her as she was making a lot of careless mistakes, so many that she was in tutoring for math, and in addition to being resistant to reading my DD is in the office complaining that she doesn't feel well and wants to go home often enough that it's obvious that she's not just sick.

She tells me that maybe I'm too focused on my kids and that maybe I should get a job so I wouldn't be thinking about this stuff and making myself crazy. I told her if I got a job that took my mind off of making sure my family's needs were getting met I probably would have really screwed up kids and a husband who wanted a divorce.

I thought she was someone who would understand- she had a child who is probably 2e, and here she is piling on the "you must be crazy your child is fine" crap. I said, all I wanted to know is if you think there is a problem with her reading - which there probably is as she hasn't grown in her comprehension and seems to have gone backwards a little, the Principal even pointed this out.

I really didn't expect to be suckerpunched like that in an SST meeting. I have never asked for services other than help with having her reading assessed. Even with my son, in all the time I have been at the school, volunteered and made myself useful, I never asked for services or even complained. I just tried to scaffold him from my side as best I could. Really really really disappointed right now.