Connecting dots, One of the problems with some insurances is that they ask providers for information to "approve" visits. This could be anything from a treatment plan to actual notes. This is not done as frequently now as it had been done in the past, but it still occurs. While it may not be as distressing when it involves medical notes, it can be upsetting to think that private information discussed in therapy is being reviewed by someone in an insurance company, not to mention that the information is stored in a file at the company and can be accessed by anyone there. This would certainly make me feel uncomfortable as a client!

I appreciate that therapy is not affordable without insurance for many, but my point was to be informed about the drawbacks of using insurance for therapy and to consider the implications. If it were my child, I would never even submit an out-of-network receipt for reimbursement because then a diagnosis (which is necessary for reimbursement) is in a permanent file, available for access in the future by anyone who might be able to access it. Yes, it's unlikely. But I would prefer to safeguard my child's privacy. Just my two cents.