Ugh. Just lost my whole reply.
Ok, trying again. Therapists (MSW's and LPC's)are generally trained in motivational interviewing, therapeutic relationships, etc. They are wonderful!! They just get very little schooling in educational/giftedness/LD issues unless they specialize later (going for CEU's on those topics/special trainings). The realm of giftedness is a mystery. My sister-in-law is a school social worker. I was foolish enough to give her my DD's IQ when she asked what it was. Sister in law thought it was run of the mill. Her idea of gifted IQ is 170 - which worries me because that means probably she discounts all the rest of the kids at her school who have those "average IQ's" of 130-169 (sigh). Sister in law just hasn't had training in this subject. DH warned me not to try to educate SIL. Our elementary MSW was the same way as SIL. Some psychologists not only focus on testing but also get training in therapy techniques (DBT, CBT, etc). They fill 2 roles - tester and therapist. It is a great combo because they know what an IQ number really means. That's what I am looking for - IQ/2E/therapeutic relationship individual. Throw in the fact that DD is an adoptee dealing with that, and it gets REALLY tricky.
I did some digging this afternoon and found that the woman who tested DD now is at a clinic that takes our insurance. I left a message and hope to hear from her soon.

I found some good ideas here and will be on the computer and phone again tomorrow.
PS - I was generalizing about psychs., MSWs, and LPC's so feel free to discuss the differences. I am going by what I know from my career and family members' positions.

Last edited by greenlotus; 01/04/16 07:40 PM. Reason: punctuation