Hi guys,

Just writing to follow up after our SST. It was sort of not what I was expecting since the behaviorist and the psychologist didn't show. I was told they had met before hand and decided they didn't need to be there. Not sure what I think about that, but anyway ...

Teacher is just really good. She's very focused on the fact that DS8 is trying hard and is a good little boy who is struggling. Worth her weight in gold, she is. She really wanted to try a "star chart" with the reward being to be able to do something special with a friend. Goal is to get DS believing that he is making progress and is not a bad person. And keep working to dial down the inappropriate behaviors.

Principal is all on board, too.

They both repeatedly talked about how he is so bright, and needs the chance to feel good about his strengths. No actual concrete plans yet, but I think it can wait until the new year. DS has his hands full keeping himself reined in, what with the general madness of the pre-Xmas ramp up. Exactly how many holiday events CAN they fit into a 2-week period?!?

The school has an "attached" therapist from a well-regarded local agency. She's there Monday-Thursday and Teacher would really like DS to work with her. Teacher says DS has so much suppressed frustration and anger that she doesn't know how he gets through the day sometimes. Principal added that frustration and anger are probably rooted in fear and anxiety. I'm meeting the therapist next Monday.

The assessments really didn't come up, and it was a productive meeting without them.

It made my heart break a little to realize DS is still so overall unhappy and lonely at school. But I do believe he's in good hands while he's there. And he is headed in the right direction behavior-wise which I think will open opportunities in the end.

Inch by inch. Day by day. And a little sip of wine at the end of the day hasn't hurt, lately.

Thanks again to you all for your support.

Sue

[ETA - not sure I'm happy about the star chart/reward thing. I long ago abandoned such strategies as counter-productive ("I can't do that unless I'm going to get a reward.") But Teacher feels it's a way to heap on positive reinforcement, so I agreed to it. We'll see!]

Last edited by suevv; 12/08/15 11:04 PM.