I'm a bit helicoptery. But I *think* I'm focusing on the areas that actually need my attention - I have to say I notice a lot of behaviors by other parents around me that really drive me nuts.
Like drying and dressing kids after their swimming lessons, kids as old as 7 who have just swum multiple lengths of the pool with 4 different strokes so are obviously capable of dressing themselves but stand there like big lumpy puppets getting their arms and legs stuffed into their clothes.
And like collecting their kids schoolbags, drink bottles, shoes for them after school, and carrying them for them.
It's obviously just impatience because we're all too busy to stand around waiting for kids but I'd rather put in a few minutes now than be valeting my child forever because they don't know how to do anything.
I try quite hard to give my DD8 her own appropriate life choices, like clothes, haircuts, room decor, extracurricular activities, and I think she does quite well. At 6 she decided to quit ballet and take up Girl Guides, which I was hesitant about but it turned out to be a great choice for her. She's currently eschewing French lessons in favor of indoor rock-climbing, which again I'm uncomfortable with but am trying not to be!
The important decisions we'd certainly discuss with her but we'd probably make the final choice. Perhaps she's more sensible than me but all I can think of is that I made my choice of high school based on which school uniform I liked better *eyeroll*