Absolutely.

This is, on some level, a good argument for some acceleration, actually. The reason is that a certain degree of intervention beyond that expected for older peers is more acceptable.

That is, nobody expected my 12yo to be driving herself to auditions, board meetings, etc. the way that they would have had she been 18 instead.

The side benefit was that her executive function was still permitted to be twelve and not 17 or 18.

My parents also lacked the credentials, and lacking them-- failed to understand some of what leads to high level credentialing in the first place. So when I was "invited" to join honor societies, etc. my parents just looked at the immediate costs and benefits, without really understanding how important those things were in terms of gatekeeping-- some of it informal, even, but that stuff is like being members of the right "club" when it comes time to network in college and after.

We didn't make those mistakes. We knew that leadership positions, honor society memberships, etc. are the things that make a resume look "right" for the kinds of opportunities that lead to high level credentialing.

As a child, DD didn't have the perspective to understand the ramifications of choosing to spend her free time on video gaming, versus community service. Now, we didn't deprive her of things that she truly wanted to do-- but we did offer advice regarding equally-desirable activities, when it was clear to us that one of them had a better long-term benefit.

I consider that an extension of things like;

"Sure, candy tastes better than Brussels sprouts and kale-- but I'm the parent, and I know that long-term, one of these is a better choice than the other. No matter how bright you are, you're still a child. Lacking life experience and full brain development, you're a hedonist who is going to choose the most pleasurable thing in the here-and-now rather than the most beneficial thing to yourself long-term. That's why you have me, and why I get veto power over a lot of ideas that seem really great to you. You're seven."

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.