I'm not surprised that a GP might suggest withdrawal without tapering, honestly-- but SSRI's really, really, REALLY shouldn't be withdrawn without one. Particularly in adolescent patients.

This is a patient population that hasn't been particularly well-studied with these meds, honestly-- so what works for adults may not be true with adolescents to begin with. Secondly, what IS known about the meds in this age range isn't always positive.

Eliz is right-- extended release meds have a natural "taper" in dosing, but at the same time, for some individuals, it isn't slow enough. Adolescents metabolize meds faster than adults do.

I'd call the doc about his symptoms. They sound concerning. Before you do, ask him about anything "weird" and new that he might be experiencing-- auditory or other sensory hallucinations aren't uncommon in adolescents upon withdrawal of SSRI's, and kids may not understand that those aren't signs that they are "crazy" so much as real withdrawal effects. Some people describe them as "popping" or "crackling" in the brain, etc.

Some tried and true non-drug methods of dealing with low affect this time of year-- I'd add this stuff pronto in your situation, btw:

1. Exercise-- IN NATURAL DAYLIGHT. No matter how overcast, it's still better to get that natural full-spectrum light.

2. MORE light-- full spectrum fluorescent bulbs can be had at any home improvement store-- beware that they can disrupt circadian cycles if you use them late in the day, but having one at your breakfast table or where he gets ready for school in the mornings might help.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.