Originally Posted by maisey
Did you taper off slowly for several weeks or just stop suddenly? I know as an adult when I switch from one SSRI to another or want to stop all together my doc has had me cut dose in half for a few weeks, then go to every other day for several weeks, then every 2-3 days, until I get down to none at all. Usually takes me a good two months to taper. Then I start a new one about 2 weeks after none at all.
Obviously, everyone here is smart enough to choose their doctor's advice rather than that of some stranger on the internet. wink But I will add that when I tried to go off of Effexor (an SNRI), my GP told me to take it every other day, and it was a disaster. Maisey's advice works well (in my experience) with Prozac and other longer-lasting drugs, but for short half-life medicines, it basically puts you on a whipsaw withdraw-and-reintroduce cycle that is flat out dreadful to experience. I ended up taking apart the extended release capsules and dividing them into more capsules in order to taper the dose down below the smallest one available OTC. I have since read that a common strategy for Effexor is to first add Prozac, then stop the Effexor, then taper the Prozac.