Originally Posted by cdfox
However, part of it, I think is entirely normal to want (or think you want) something you don't have.

ITA - and it's not limited to children who are the only children in their families. My own children have gone through phases of wanting what they don't have. My youngest (of three) wished more than anything to be an only child when she was younger - part of it was having a friend who was an only child, part of it was just n normal "grass is greener" thinking. My middle child would have been very happy to have a different sister - they don't have much in common and her younger sister can be quite annoying at times smile

I don't think parents of 2+ more children really understand the life for only children or their parents, imho. I just don't think they understand how decisions or choices are often out of our hands and not under our control with having children. Many people can be insensitive with it, I've found.

I'm sorry you've been faced with insensitivity, cdfox. I would add though, that the insensitivity is most likely due to personality of the people who are insensitive, rather than simply because they are parenting more than one child.

Best wishes,

polarbear