Sorry, by VIQ I just meant the verbal index score of the IQ test: What you have listed as Verbal Comprehension.

Whether or not you can get services at school for a child reading on or above grade level is a matter of local policy. We've lucked out in that regard (with the help of ground work laid by a group of families who filed a complaint against our district). The local policy here is to qualify a kid for intervention services if the difference between verbal comprehension index (~130 in your son's case) and the phonics score (~87 in your son's case) is greater than 23 points regardless of how high the verbal comprehension score is if it's having a negative effect on the child's academic or emotional growth. {Edit: even the broad reading of 59th percentile is a score of ~103, which would would also "qualify" the kid at our school. Our district, though, is very unusual with their aggressive approach to qualifying kids with dyslexia.}

My DD qualified for 200 minutes a week of OG, which started on the first day of 5th grade for her. She was pretty much done in December of that year, and was exited from OG entirely at the end of the first semester, during which time she progressed 5 grade levels in spelling. She's retained those gains over the last 3 years.

DS, who I'm told is more severe than DD (though identical scores ~ I asked if they pulled the right kid's record), only qualified for 80 minutes a week, starting early in the 2nd semester of 4th grade. He's in 5th now. The difference in time is enough that he's making good progress, but hasn't exploded in the manner that DD did (including failing to retain last year's gains). The school is hanging that on other issues, but I'm fairly certain that the difference is that 80 minutes is simply less than 200 minutes. We have an IEP meeting in January, and I will be pushing for more minutes. Otherwise, I think I'll have to find a way to put the OG in privately.

Last edited by geofizz; 11/23/15 08:40 AM.