Originally Posted by blackcat
He sounds like DD to me. She has a dramatic improvement in symptoms on medication. I don't know if you're willing to try that, but you can always ask to get a provisional diagnosis and do a trial of meds. Usually they are started at very low doses, though, and those low doses don't work for everyone, so keep that in mind. We have tried a lot of different meds and what works for one kid may not work as well for another. So if you try one and don't see a big difference or there are side effects, another med might work better (again--not telling you that you should medicate, but sharing my experience if you do). We are medicating DD but not DS even though they probably both have ADHD to some degree. DS struggles a lot with executive functioning, like organizational ability, but is stronger with focus than DD, and I didn't see that much of a difference on meds (although we never made it past the lowest dose because he kept retching whenever he ate).

Thanks blackcat. I just had another call from DS teacher with some things that happened today and yesterday that will result in him having to sit out from an activity today . . . I am definitely becoming more open to the idea of trying medication as everything seems to be falling apart, and kids are starting to form negative opinions about him . . . so the cost benefit scale definitely seems to be swinging for me. Luckily the school year ends next month, and hopefully we can get next year off to a better start.

But I will not get ahead of myself, first step is getting a diagnosis.

Anyway, feeling pretty down about it all at the moment. I feel unable to help him. And my heart breaks for him.