Originally Posted by suevv
Originally Posted by DeeDee
This is a tricky one. I have found that most of the time a child with ASD lies it is to cover for a skills deficit somewhere in the chain of events-- fear of negative consequences trumps the rational response, so they try to lie. (Mostly they are bad at it.)

This thread is so thought-provoking. Reading through, I think I've crystalized understanding about something: DS sometimes lies because he already told the truth and nobody believed him. Conversation goes something like this:

Authority: Why did you do that?

DS8 (small voice - telling the truth): I don't know.

Authority: You do know that [behavior] is unacceptable don't you?

DS8: Yes

Authority: Are you allowed to do that at home?

DS8 (confused b/c "allow" is irrelevant): No. Yes. I don't know.

Authority: Well, you know very well it's not allowed here. Why did you do it?

DS8: [says nothing]

Authority: Are you going to answer me? I'm waiting for an explanation.

DS8 (making up a string of inconsistent excuses now b/c he has to say something): "He started it. I didn't do it, somebody else did. It was an accident. People do that all the time."

Authority: We both know you are lying now. This is going nowhere. I'm imposing X discipline. Do you think that will help you learn not to do this.

DS8: I don't know.

Authority: HE'S TOTALLY REMORSELESS. HE PRACTICALLY TOLD ME HE WAS GOING TO DO IT AGAIN.

This must be agonizing for a kid who really is trying, and doesn't want to lie but feels backed into a corner. How do you get Authorities to understand that he really does not know why it happened or how to stop it. FWIW, this is a big part of the reason DS won't go to birthday parties or (see my other thread) trick-or-treating or most anywhere he'll get overwhelmed.
Sounds familiar. Only my son at 12 would just shut up and stop talking. Honestly.. he would give up trying to answer and shut up. This really annoyed Authority figure and I would get a phone call. I have no idea why Authority figure would expect a 11/12 year olds to understand and be able to articulate why they did something. Drove me up the wall, I usually ended up having to take my son home for the rest of the day. (Headdesk)