I agree Cookie but it is the common core - that stuff seems very complicated and time consuming, etc.

Aeh,
I got a little suspicious when I spoke to the teachers. I felt like one (the reading one) was doing a lot of justifying and "talking around" my questions. Also, they told my DS something completely opposite than what they told me and that is why I went to meet with them because they had upset him so much. Mind you, he is easily upset over this stuff and is very fixated on progressing and "passing tests" - he sees this reading level move/issue as a "failure." I myself really don't see that big of deal at this point as long as he likes what he is reading, is challenged, etc. He, however, is really anxious and upset over this perceived failure and is very intent on finding out where he is "deficient" and working on it. So, I promised I would find out for him. When he tries to they start counseling that he needs to be okay with failing sometimes and not always being on top and either do not explain the test/system/structure or they lie. Anyway, in terms of them telling DS something completely opposite than what they told me - teacher told him his true level was now down a level. Then at independent reading time, the teacher assistant helped his find an interesting book (he had just finished the one he had been reading) and she suggested the purple level book and he started reading. Apparently, reading teacher came over chastised him for taking a book from a level he is no longer on, chastised the assistant, and made a pretty big ddeal about it. When I talked the teachers(and I did not tell them I heard all about this incident) they told me the opposite, they said "oh he can still read purple level books; in fact, assistant just suggested this book (they showed it to me) and that is what he is going to read at independent reading time!" And I really requested very direct and specific information (like you just gave me ... even something close to that would have been nice). I wanted to know how the test is structured, what my DS needed to pass, and where exactly he did not pass, by how much, etc. But there was a lot of talking around and 'justifying', talk of going "deep" (apparently that is really the buzz word with these new curriculums - I hear it in math too... so weird. I am not sure why it feels like they do not want to give certain information... and why it is so important to almost find reasons to keep a child from moving levels... I do believe or like to believe the teachers have good intentions... I can't imagine these ones, in particular, have some other agenda or some reason for keeping my DS down. BUT it just feels odd that I can't get specific information, that there is backpedaling, that when it comes down to it there is not a really, truly valid reason for this. It's just odd. Unless they really believe he needs something or is moving when he really is deficient but, yet, they said that was not the case. I am so confused. I find it very odd. Add to that teacher did made a comment that she wanted something to work on with him...