Kids just don't like to stand out or be singled out. I arrange dinner for a group of kids several times in the season, and always accommodate the dietary restrictions. They are just supposed to ask, and their teacher and parents remind them. If they have separate individual meals, they are set aside so the rest of the wolves I mean students don't take them. But most of them won't ask. I try to recognize them in line, but there are over 100 kids altogether and it takes me 3-4 dinners to know who gets a special meal, and if they don't let me know the first week I may never know who they are.

The ones who DO ask are not restricted for medical reasons, or else they are seniors, who are developmentally taking charge of their lives in general. It takes until the 6th meal for most of the kids to be comfortable with asking, and then the season is over.

When it comes to accommodations, and on a test day when there are so many new and different rules, different rooms, etc, to keep track of, it's really hard for a student to know when and whom to ask. The room proctors should know to figure things out when they don't have a name on their list.