Originally Posted by AvoCado
But I have reservations about skipping DD into that final year, that all the students have been working towards all this year, where they finally get to be house leaders, crossing guards etc. Where they've all known each other for 6 years …

I can't help with info on the IAS, but I think that I'd not put too much worry into skipping into a class that is in their last year at a school. Two of my kids have been through that "last year" scenario with it's long-awaited "perks", and from my perspective, the perks they perceive as perks and look forward too - they aren't looking forward to them from an "I deserve this and someone else doesn't because they haven't been through x# of years of school" perspective as much as they are simply excited they finally get to do that (themselves).

The fact that the kids have known each other for 6 years - you're going to get a bit of that in whatever class/age/grade level you choose to skip. It might be a bit easier to blend in without being noticed if you skipped during the transition from elementary to middle school, but there are also so many other things that go on during that time - drama due to hormones starting to kick in, drama due to kids from different elementary schools being thrown in together and friendships changing, having to change classes, getting used to a new school etc. Plus you'd have put your child in the situation of potentially being bored and inappropriately placed for academics for another full year.

So, jmo, but I wouldn't worry too much about a skip going into 6th grade - I'd focus on what your dd needs in terms of academics and go from there.

Best wishes,

polarbear