Originally Posted by AvoCado
I'm not in the US, so hopefully elementary (grade school?) is the right term smile Would you skip your child a year into the last year of primary school?
But I have reservations about skipping DD into that final year, that all the students have been working towards all this year, where they finally get to be house leaders, crossing guards etc. Where they've all known each other for 6 years …

I have mentioned this several times on this forum, but our DD accelerated mid year from 4th to 5th (5th being the last year of elementary here in this area). I, too, was worried about her moving into class with older kids, but at least in our case, kids come and go all the time so it wasn't unusual for a new kid to come into class. She actually knew most of the kids and after a week or so the novelty wore off of a "little kid" moving on up into 5th grade (expect lots of questions from parents and kids).
I read your post, and when you mentioned the crossing guard point, I had to laugh. Being part of "safety patrol" is a big honor of 5th grade here. I was so excited that DD could participate even though she didn't move into 5th until February. She dumped that notion right away. Had absolutely no interest in helping kids cross the road or get out of the car at car pool. I should have known. DD is not the typical kid. crazy grin