Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by BSM
He has been taking 10mg Prozac regularly since May, and we upped it to 20mg at the beginning of the month. We upped it because his in-school behavior was not improving. After we upped it, his behavior has been getting worse. I'm not 100% convinced it is all the fault of the Prozac, but it looks like it is not helping.

If his behavior hasn't improved at best and has deteriorated at worst, maybe you and his doctor should consider withdrawing the drug and seeing how he does.

I strongly endorse this view.

The human body is a complex system that isn't well understood, and there are many causes that can present the same sets of symptoms. Additionally, many investigative options are cost-prohibitive, and/or have the potential to cause additional issues. So, sometimes one of the best diagnostic tools available is drug therapy, through trial and observation.

In this particular case, it appears the drug has been given a thorough trial, and observation has revealed no change at a 10mg dose, and a negative effect at a 20mg dose. The data is in, and unless there are valid reasons to expect that a different SSRI may have a different result, it's time to eliminate the mechanism this class of drugs affect as a possible cause altogether, and move on to other potential causes.

This is basic science, and unfortunately, this isn't the first medical professional I've encountered who doesn't know how to (or can't be bothered to) science correctly.

Adding another drug to the mix to counteract the negative effects of the drug that's clearly not working is not an acceptable response.