Originally Posted by JBDad
Originally Posted by Dottie
One more comment....I'm pretty sure the "concern", however real or imagined is for potential down the road issues.

Yes, this was brought up. Parents don't think about in high school when such-and-such. I want to be prepared. FWIW, due to my birth date, I've always been the youngest in my class and began college when I was 17. Based on DS's birth date, we're only asked for a 6-month exception to the cut-off.

Thanks everyone. I'm reading fast and furiously between meetings.

JB

This argument is spurious. First of all, it makes assumptions about facts not in evidence. Who knows what's going to happen in 8 years??? As a way to shut down this argument, you can always smile gently and say "We could always re-examine the issue when the time comes in 2016 if he's having significant problems with his peers." Seriously, treat it like a valid point and then remove any route to use it as a means for denying the acceleration.

Also, people using this argument conveniently ignore the fact that high school is a mixed bag of ages. HS kids mix by age in class, on sports teams, at lunch, in the hallways, in the bathrooms...well, you get my point. If mixing with older kids is such a big deal, why aren't the seniors segregated from everyone else??

Also, no one seems to bring up this "issue" with respect to redshirted kids who may be a lot older than their classmates in the less-age-mixed environment in the elementary grades.

My turn to go to a meeting!!!

Val

Last edited by Val; 08/06/08 12:50 PM.