Originally Posted by Val
2. Socializing seems to happen mostly on the playground, not in class when everyone is supposed to sitting quietly. Kids can play with kids their own age then if they want to. I'm not sure what "socialization" means. Can you explain it to me?

Excellent point, Val! And just as a side note, we who homeschool often ask the same question.

People often say "socialization" when they mean "socialize," as in "to be social and have fun with other kids." Happy, challenged kids who are well placed in school usually have an easier time making friends and being social than miserable, underchallenged kids who are placed with people who don't understand them. Same with homeschoolers: GT kids finish their work fast and go to the park! More play time, not less.

Sometimes, though, people mean "to become socialized," as in "to learn how to stand in line and wait your turn," which seems a funny thing to be worried about to me with school-aged kids. I guess there might be some kids who still have trouble with this at 5, but both my kids mastered it at the very start of pre-K, age 3. <shrug>

Or worse, people really mean "to learn how to be bored." But calling it "socialization" sounds less like the oppression that it really is...

Anyway, I think it pays to ask for the definition of the word as they're using it so you know what you're really discussing. I totally agree!

Kriston