I guess JBs point is disputing the harm of public school acceleration. Our kids are not in public school. Actually, I think that public school is the worst place for a child to learn how to socialize...

Websters
3: of or relating to human society, the interaction of the individual and the group, or the welfare of human beings as members of society

Public school is the only place in society where children are kept in groups with 30 other kids of the same age for 8 hours a day. It's actually contradictory to what real society is like - that you will go to the store and encounter 50 people of varying ages. That you will have a job one day also working with people of varying ages. Your boss might be younger than you...

I do, however understand an administrators hesitation to place a child who is more than a year younger than the other 29 kids into the same classroom. The "herd mentality" of the older kids quite possibly place the younger child in harms way. Could lead to anything like teasing, bullying etc. This is one of the big reasons that we do homeschool. I wouldn't really want my child placed in a grade with kids that were that much older.

C~