Hi folks,

Has anyone had experience with correcting "retained reflexes" from infancy. These are a set of reflexes that serve us well as babies, but are usually integrated within the first year of life. The Moro reflex (the one where the baby startles when falling asleep) is the only one had had heard of before recently.

My son completed his vision therapy with great results when he was in third grade. Then at the end of sixth grade, we discovered that he needed to do another round. His eyes were back to skipping all over the page. It's unusual for kids to have to repeat it. He has lower muscle tone in general, and I know from his earlier years of OT that finer muscle control follows the development of gross motor control. So in poking around more, I've found a series of websites talking about these reflexes. I had my sone do the basic tests, and he has several of them. People seem to be making the connection between these primitive reflexes and a variety of muscle tone/learning difference issues. What is being said makes sense based on my son's experience. But of course there doesn't seem to be a lot of published research. It seems to be resolved by doing exercises that look a lot like things we once did in OT.

Has anyone else worked on this with their children? How much of a time commitment was it? Did it benefit the child? How? Did you think it was worth the investment?

Many thanks for any info!