Originally Posted by ultramarina
Ah yes--you are right. But she doesn't know how to do this yet! I think? As I have been thinking about her issues, it's occurring to me that I just don't know what teachers do to support or NOT support kids. Do they say, "It's time to hand in homework now," or not? (Maybe they just need to put it in a basket on the way in?) Do they remind them, "If you have those parent forms for me, pass them in" or not? Do they say, "Did everybody get the handout?" Do they say, "This is due Friday but I forgot to put that on the whiteboard, so add that to your planner"? I just have NO idea!
What I found is that disorganized teachers makes it harder for a student to be organized. My DS16 has always done well with classes where the homework expectations are clear and consistent. Often math class isn't a problem, there is always homework and it's either written on the board in the same place every day or last years teacher handed out a sheet with the homework for the next quarter and she stuck with it.

But for example DS had a huge problem with last years Chemistry teacher. She was known for being disorganized, lost kids work, took forever to turn things back. At back to school night she mentioned that there wasn't always homework and she would announce it in class. I get the impression she would just announce in the middle of class "Finish this for homework and turn it in Tuesday". We had to have DS do a homework log where the teacher signed a sheet once a week and she wrote down what homework was due and what was missing. This helped a lot because it made HER accountable as well as my son.

My best guess is my son has a hard time when homework is given orally in the "this is due Friday but I forgot to put in on the whiteboard" method.