Honestly, if the teacher CAN reach a little to help you bridge the gap, this could turn out to be a great learning experience for your child, and help her learn to adapt to a style that she doesn't innately find easy. That has a value all its own. I'd definitely bear that in mind as you try to work with this teacher. It's not about right/wrong even-- it's about bridging the apparent gap between what your child can manage and what this teacher (apparently) can. Disorganized/chaotic people are the BANE of rigid/highly structured ones everywhere. Think of it as a communications challenge.

You're quite right--she needs to learn to cope with this teacher. The frustrated thing is, she is excited about the subject! It would stink if she got turned off due to this.

I think I am going to wait just a couple more weeks to see how things continue to go (it's POSSIBLE that some of this is new-school adjustment) and to let the teacher get to know DD. Most teachers like her these days, and that will help.

Who in the real world fills out their planner/calendar at the end of the day when someone tells them to? You write things down as they come up, knowing that this habit protects against forgetting.

Ah yes--you are right. But she doesn't know how to do this yet! I think? As I have been thinking about her issues, it's occurring to me that I just don't know what teachers do to support or NOT support kids. Do they say, "It's time to hand in homework now," or not? (Maybe they just need to put it in a basket on the way in?) Do they remind them, "If you have those parent forms for me, pass them in" or not? Do they say, "Did everybody get the handout?" Do they say, "This is due Friday but I forgot to put that on the whiteboard, so add that to your planner"? I just have NO idea!

As for the specifics of this class: where is she sitting?

Ah. You are smart. Due to the way this class is set up, she is sitting in a weird spot where she is isolated. She actually brought this up. It cannot be changed. (sad trombone)