Originally Posted by NowWhat
a very high need to use very precise vocabulary to describe his world. I admit I struggle to keep up.
Yes, imagine a toddler with a deep inner urge to learn all the body parts... not just arm... or shoulder/elbow/wrist... but the specific muscles and bones. It's great for telling the pediatrician where it hurts.

Originally Posted by Cookie
I used to say "I speak a language called vague and you speak a language called specific....interpret what I mean...
I think this is a great response for a child with whom there is a shared context, for example the car/van which you own and is parked in front of you.

Depending upon circumstances, there may often be a need to be precise. This may be especially true when individuals' knowledge base may differ (due to age, profession, expertise, SES, region, culture, or any number of other factors). For example:
Originally Posted by Dude
some of my coworkers are so hopelessly bad at communicating their technical issues from constantly misusing vocabulary, unclear pronouns, and vague language in general
Another example may be discussing what is meant by "differentiation" when advocating. Another example: when applying to colleges, there is a difference between "early action" and "early decision". The list goes on...

Originally Posted by Cookie
if it is unclear ask
Great advice, IMO. Unfortunately seeking clarification may result in some making accusations of being pedantic or "picking on" others.

Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
I chalk it up to learning the language and wanting to be correct with it.
This matches my experience as well. The goal is to have a mutual understanding.