My almost 2 year old son exceeded what I know about dinosaurs in less than 30 seconds.

He got an early birthday present of a dinosaur puzzle and the set of Hape wooden dinosaurs. Knowing they are "dinosaurs" are not enough and knowing what some of them are called is not enough.

I had to go check out several dinosaur books but I think I've finally got them all figured out. My son seems so tiny to be exclaiming: Parasaurolophus standing on the Ankylosaurus!

The bigger picture of this post is my son seems to have a very high need to use very precise vocabulary to describe his world. I admit I struggle to keep up. He loves construction, trucks, farm equipment, trains, and now dinosaurs and his vocabulary in these areas and requests for new vocab often sends me to the library because I'm pretty sure he knows more than me already in these areas.

Is this typical? Is it a toddler thing or does it keep going? What really makes my jaw hit the floor is his fast he picks up these huge and very technical words. He can add up to 6 technical dinosaur names in a day! I can't remember this much about dinosaurs. Ha! smile

I'm happy to give my son all the new vocabulary he wants but once again I feel pretty alone on this parenting journey. My kid is really starting to stick out at this point.

Last edited by NowWhat; 09/03/15 08:58 PM.