DS9 is dysgraphic and the best thing we ever did for him was to entirely give up on handwriting at the start of grade 3. His pediatrician insisted on it because of DS's ever-increasing anxiety. That medical advice was more compelling for the school than the dysgraphia diagnosis and was what convinced DH (who had worried that we were giving up too soon). If I could go back in time I would have thrown in the writing towel in grade 2. A lot of emotional damage happened that year. He was already noticing the difference between his output and that of other children in grade 1 and the difference kept growing in grade 2. I think, and our experience with DS is, that once a child is capable of basic writing, there is no benefit past that point in continuing to practice/instruct writing.

There are a lot of similarities between my DS's early signs of dysgraphia and what you describe with your DD. DS didn't/wouldn't/couldn't draw, resisted writing, formed letters from the bottom (they looked just fine once finished), took an outlandish time to complete any written task, had written answers grade levels below his verbal answers, and held his pencil like it was an offensive weapon. Teachers thought he was lazy or inattentive because some days he could actually write things, but most days he couldn't. He went from loving school to hating it before we were able to get in front of the challenge and we still struggle with the fallout from that.

DS actually liked having a name and explanation for his challenge. It helped him to conceptualize it as brain wiring, rather than the wilful behaviour the school thought it saw. He hasn't used it as an excuse to not write, interestingly he writes at home to label the drawings he now does (they are very rudimentary drawings, but wonderful to see in the circumstances). I think it can be empowering for children with challenges to know what the challenge is, how it manifests, where it comes from and how to address it. DS can now relax about writing because he understands his own wiring and the unexpected result is that he writes more than he did before he was the one who got to decide when/if he writes. I'm not sure any of that makes sense, but in essence I'd say don't worry about your DD not trying to overcome it.