Thanks to everyone. I find so much help on this discussion forum. I have never found anything like it.

Blackcat: I have been told that she has to be doing below grade level work to qualify for an IEP, and at this point she makes straight As and works above grade level. Even the writing doesn't look below grade level. The issue is the refusal to write and draw. At this point her issues have been seen as behavioral (lack of trying/effort). But, honestly, the school counselor is very supportive of both my kid and a 504 and will get her the accommodations that she needs under that. I just don't see a need to fight any other battles.

BUT...

She's just starting second grade, and there's just not that much spontaneous writing yet. I see academic problems on the horizon--and the behavior shaming has been a huge emotional problem for her for years.

Last night I did the same type of math problems with her that I described above--only instead of having her write, I scribed for her. There was no hesitation. She answered all of the questions quickly, including the blank page question.

It's a writing issue.

We talked about the difference between math being difficult and writing being difficult, that they weren't the same thing.

Ugh. We've been struggling with this for years. In the past the DCD has created social, emotional, and physical problems but we are only now seeing an academic effect. I knew this was coming, but I was hoping it wasn't.

How much writing do you guys require your kids to do? Just generally? I know she needs to start typing, but I don't want her to totally give up on writing while she is so young. She does need to know how and get some practice at it, right?

ElizabethN: Yeah, I saw that. :-). Not ironic. It was just 3:30 in the morning, and I'm pretty bad at math myself. For some weird reason, I don't really have any desire to go back and change it.