If the disability causes impaired educational performance compared to peers without the disability, then she should qualify for an IEP. Our school gave us the same line (or similar, they need to be "failing" or below average), but it's just not true according to the state criteria and eligibility checklists. Kids can qualify for an IEP even if they have passing grades and are progressing from grade to grade. DS ended up in the "physical impairment" category. That being said, is it worth a fight? I guess it depends on what services she would qualify for. Since we switched schools, DS gets pulled for writing every single day. He also gets pulled out for OT, DAPE, and speech (not every day). At this point they are working on keyboarding with him but are still trying to get some legible handwriting out of him. If you see her start to struggle academically on a regular basis, or fall behind, it's definitely something to keep in mind.

I wouldn't "give up" on writing yet, but I also wouldn't force more writing than she is physically able to do. DS looks incredibly awkward when he writes and complains about his hand hurting after a few sentences. He is actually fairly fast when he writes but it is so messy with no spaces between words.