DD10 is also entering 5th grade, so we don't have experience (DS was not given any option when he was the same age), but are planning to. We already signed her up for accelerated math through an online source. She was the first in her school to do that, but after we signed up we heard that at least another few families either signed up or are talking with the school about it. DD is sensitive and was wondering whether she'd feel weird if she sat in front of a computer everyday during math. So she was relieved after she heard that there are other kids who also signed up.

I will also start a conversation with their world languages teacher because the language that they offer at school happens to be the other language that my bilingual family uses at home so DD is already fluent. Last year she was bored silly because the class started from scratch. A few kids are in the same situation and I told DD that I'd advocate not just for her but for the group of kids together, and talk with the other parents as well. So she feels good about this.

We are also keeping our fingers crossed for instrumental music. The teacher promised that she'd do differentiation since many kids at our school have taken private lessons for a few years. But we have to see whether that's enough because DD's level is much much higher than most other kids with a few years' worth of private lessons under the belt. DD is used to playing music with much older kids so she is very much hoping that she'd get differentiation.

I'm determined to negotiate as best as I can. The kids deserve to have a productive time at school.

Last edited by playandlearn; 08/18/15 12:11 PM.